VERNON TOWNSHIP HIGH SCHOOL
"Home of the Vikings"
VERNON TOWNSHIP HIGH SCHOOL
ATHLETIC HALL OF FAME CONSTITUTION AND BYLAWS
ARTICLE 1: MISSION STATEMENT
In recognition of the need to perpetuate student and community pride in the traditions of Vernon Township High School Athletics, an Athletic Hall of Fame is hereby organized. This organization is separate and apart from any other organization and its only purpose is to honor Vernon Township High School athletes, coaches and individuals who have made significant contributions to the Vernon Township High School athletic programs.
ARTICLE 2: OFFICERS-DUTIES
The organization known as The Vernon Township High School Hall of Fame shall consist of members, of which, five or more members will constitute the executive committee. The executive committee members must be from the current and former Vernon Township athletic community. The committee
will oversee all aspects of the induction process in the manner set forth in the constitution. The executive committee will include these positions:
- Chairperson Duties
- Maintain all committee business.
- Prepare meeting schedules, agendas, and call special meetings.
- Make committee assignments.
- Vice Chairperson Duties
- Work alongside the Chairperson on all committee matters.
- Assume the duties of the Chairperson in their absence.
- Secretary Duties
- Keep record of organization minutes and correspondence.
- Treasurer Duties
- Keep record of organization finances.
- Serve as a custodian of organization funds kept on deposit in a banking institution selected by the organization.
- Coordinate any fundraising as seen needed by the committee.
- Keep record of expenditures according to procedures established by the organization.
- Athletic Director
- Direct all communication between the executive committee, school administration and public community.
Terms of office for the Chairperson, Vice Chairperson and Secretary/Treasurer shall be a minimum of four years.
All executive committee members will serve as ex-officio members of established committees.
ARTICLE 3: MEMBERSHIP
Former and present faculty and staff and graduates of VTHS along with Vernon Township community members will comprise the membership. There will be a yearly membership fee of $25.00. Only members in good standing can submit nominations for consideration. Application/Nomination forms will be available through the school’s website and social media pages.
ARTICLE 4: MEETINGS
A minimum of fifty percent of the executive committee shall constitute a quorum to conduct regular, and/or voting meetings.
The executive committee will meet a minimum of three times per year and the full committee a minimum of two times per year.
ARTICLE 5: COMMITTEES
Committee member appointments are made by the executive committee and all activities must be approved by the executive committee.
All members of the committees are expected to attend all regular meetings and to be actively engaged in fulfilling the objectives of their respective committee. The chairperson shall establish and make necessary changes in the committees needed to fulfill the objectives and goals of the organization. The following represents the areas of committee involvement:
- Publicity: Use various methods to promote the Hall of Fame.
- Banquet: Responsible for all aspects of the banquet.
- Awards: Procure all awards associated with the event.
- Events: Work with VTHS students to create various events associated with the Hall of Fame.
- Selection: Research candidates, screen nominations.
- Fundraising: Brainstorm/create days to offset expenses.
ARTICLE 6: NOMINATION/SELECTION CRITERIA
To be considered for nominations for the Vernon Township High School Athletic Hall of Fame, the following criteria must be satisfactorily fulfilled:
- Athletes: Lettered in a sport and had graduated from VTHS 10 years prior to induction year.
- Coaches: Retired member of the Vernon Township High School staff.
- Special Awards: Individuals must have displayed and portrayed loyalty, pride, sportsmanship, dedication and contributed to the athletic program.
- All nominees must have exemplified acceptable character and integrity throughout their VTHS athletic career.
ARTICLE 7: NOMINATIONS AND SELECTION PROCESS
- The executive committee will establish submission, voting and any other data deemed necessary to complete the nomination/selection process.
- Nominations must be submitted on the Vernon Township High School Hall of Fame nomination form.
- All properly submitted nomination forms shall be screened by the selection committee based on established criteria.
- The nomination/selection committee will present the list of nominees, not to exceed 15 athletes, 4 coaches, 2 special contributors, for consideration for inclusion on the ballot.
- All applications of nominees not selected for induction shall remain on file for future consideration for the next two induction cycles.
- Nominees selected for induction must receive a majority of the eligible votes.
ARTICLE 8: FINAL SELECTIONS/VOTING
Except for the first two inaugural classes, a maximum of 10 nominees will be elected to the Hall of Fame in subsequent years. Committee members in good standing must be present at the meeting, unless an acceptable extenuating circumstance occurs, to cast a ballot. Voting shall be anonymous by written closed ballot.
The votes shall be tallied by the chairperson and selected committee members.
Selected inductees will be honored at the bi-annual Vernon Township High School Hall of Fame Awards induction ceremony.
ARTICLE 9: AMENDMENTS
Amendments to the bylaws may be proposed by any member of the committee. The executive committee will accept, reject or modify the proposed amendment.